Tuesday, November 27, 2012

sweet november

Celebrating Thanksgiving in good ol' Cambobo turned out to be pretty great. Maria whipped up Cracker Barrel Chicken, green beans, cornbread, quiche, pumpkin pie, and stuffing. Lorinda and I contributed mashed potatoes, apple crunch, and decorating/cleaning up skills. Our friends sat around our humble little table and we all gave thanks. Maria had placed two corn kernels on our plates, and as the bowl went around, each person was to say two things they were thankful for and place the kernels in the bowl. It was a very special evening full of delicious food and wonderful fellowship. My "family" enjoyed it, as well!


Happy Thanksgiving from the Gore's and the Scott's


Wonderful roomies!

On Saturday, Lorinda and I took Maria to Daughter's for some early birthday celebrating! We got pedicures and ate lunch in the cafe. Sunday was her actual birthday, and we continued the celebration by going to the Italian restaurant of all of your dreams. It's that good. Afterward, we went to Brown, which is like Starbucks' distant cousin. 


One of Maria's friends sent her funfetti mix and icing, which 
reminds me, it's almost time for me to eat another one.

It's Water Festival time, which means we have the whole week off of school! Holla! The downside is that a lot of places around the city are closed. The biggest downside has proved to be the fact that our beloved tuk tuk driver is out of town. He's the one who removed our rat. He also knows us well, drives cautiously, knows all of our favorite places, and is just a very sweet man. He also doesn't charge us very much, which is greatly appreciated. Yesterday, Maria and I ate at The Shop and then went to see Breaking Dawn. It had been several years since Maria or I had read the book, so we were in for a few surprises. It was cool getting to see the last movie over here, where we have been spared all the hype. Bye, Twilight. I'm already over it. I was never even sad. 

I'm still not ok with the fact that there's no more Harry Potter, and I never will be. Maria just finished HP6, and getting to live with someone who is experiencing Harry Potter for the first time is quite interesting. She has never read the books before and hasn't seen the rest of the movies. I think she's the only person I know who hasn't seen or heard any spoilers. Therefore, I need to make lots of desserts to prepare for her imminent book 7 depression. It's gonna be a rough couple of weeks. 

Today! 

This afternoon, we decided to head to Oressay (?) market and hunt for fabric. We are both trying to Martha Stewart our rooms by getting curtains and pillows made. We didn't want to call the same driver we used last night because he tried to charge us $10. Let me think of how to explain how ridiculous that was...um...I don't think I can. Just know that it was. Anyway, we decided just to walk in the direction we wanted to go and pick up a tuk tuk on the way. After a few failed negotiations, we finally grabbed one. We stopped to pick up a few iced coffees, but they tasted...well, they tasted terrible. Like dark chocolate gone horribly wrong. And then we saw this:


Yes, that is 34356 balloons attached to one moto. 
We kept waiting for it to fly away.

We made it to the market and were dropped off at an unfamiliar part. No worries, we thought, we'll just go on inside and figure it out. Welp, we couldn't find the fabric, but we did find the meat section. I wish smells didn't bother me as much as they did, and I was trying just to breathe through my mouth and not seem incredibly rude/touristy, but I honestly could not help covering my mouth and practically running out of there. We then realized we were at the wrong market, so we hightailed it outta there and headed to Olympic. 

On the way there, we were stopped at a red light for what felt like five years. It probably felt so long because a man on the moto next to us was checking me out. Now, I'm totally used to being stared at. I'm really pale. I'm tall. It's cool, whatever. This dude, however, let his eyes go up and down about twelve too many times. Normally I would just ignore it, but I guess my Sonic past came rising up. See, I spent a lot of years working at Sonic, and I dealt with creepers all the time. I had no problem addressing it at home, but here I feel so awkward. Even after I had given him the, "I see you, so cut it out" look a few times, he was still looking. So then I looked him in the eye and said, "Hi. You can stop staring at me now." Doesn't that sound very Regina George? That's what it felt like. Anyway, say what you will about it, but I refused to just sit there and be subject to whatever he was thinking without doing something about it. Thankfully, the light turned green and he sped off through the intersection. 

We got some fabric fabric and called it a day. Java, a wonderful little restaurant near Independence Monument, was still open so we headed there next. My sweet tea was sweet, my grilled cheese was incredible, and the wifi password was "pecanpie." Java was a good choice. Also, at one point my bag of fabric resembled the wrapping of a McDonald's cheeseburger. I think I'm ready for a visit home. 


After Java, we walked to Miss Care spa and got foot massages. Foot massagesssss y'all! It was incredible. We also figured out how for the price one one massage at home, you can do all of these things in Cambodia: go out to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, go see a movie, get a pedicure, get a haircut, and get a massage. Everyone come visit me! One the way home, it started to pour. Water Festival is supposed to signal the end of rainy season (I think), so we are definitely looking forward to some dry weather. 


Trying (and failing) to unlock our gate from inside the tuk tuk and not get drenched.




Just another day in the life.

<3 M

No comments:

Post a Comment